Thursday, November 29, 2012

"The Mom Stays in the Picture"

I read this article online the other day and it struck me hard:
Basically, Allison talks about her hesitancy to be in any photos with her young children because she's not as "up to par" physically as she'd like to be. I can totally relate-I mean, I just had a baby not too long ago and my face is still dealing with the effects of Bell's Palsy. Taking pictures hasn't been on my top list of things to do for some time now.

However, Allison writes how important it is to be a part of the documentation of your child's life. She is so poignant in saying that her son doesn't see her love handles or her not done hair or frumpy outfit, but he simply sees "Mama" and that's what's most important.

I told Blane after reading this article that I'd like him to take more pictures of me with Cole, something that I've kinda been avoiding since Cole was born simply because my face is crooked. Seriously-we have thousands of photos of Cole, many of them with Blane and his grandparents and aunties and uncles...but hardly any with me. 
The above four paragraphs really gripped my heart. After reading them, I sighed, wiped a tear or two and decided to kick my crooked face in the booty (not literally, obviously ;) and just be okay with me how I am now. I want Cole to know that his Mom was there loving on him from day one and I'm determined to have some photos to go along with that statement.

So everyone, I'm leaving pride and vanity by the wayside today and embracing the beauty of what God has created in all of its perfect and imperfect glory. Here's to living and learning on being a better me, a better Mom!
The three of us on our trip up north the other weekend-Cole's first getaway!
Oh, and you can read the entire article here.

Aim

1 comment:

  1. You are so beautiful A, inside and out. Feeling your heart and glad Cole will be able to look back and see how tender and gentle, loving, and perfect you were as a mother.

    ReplyDelete